Selasa, November 06, 2012

Noun Clause


NOUN CLAUSE

A. Introduction
Noun clause is a dependent clause and cannot stand alone as a sentence. It must be connected to an independent clause (a main clause). A noun clause is used as subject or an object. In other words, a noun clause is used in the same ways as a noun.

B. Beginning with Question Words, That & Whether/If
1.   Noun Clause that begin with a Question Word
Sentence pattern:
Subject + Verb + Object (Question word + Subject + Verb)
                                                       Noun Clause
The question word that cab ne used to introduce noun clause such as;
§ When
No.
Information Question
Noun Clause
1
When did Tim leave?
I don’t know when Tim left.
2
When did David arrive?
I don’t know when David arrived.
3
When does the semester end?
Can you tell me when the semester end?
4
When is he going to leave?
Do you know when he is going to leave?

§ Where
No.
Information Question
Noun Clause
1
Where did Paul go?
I don’t know where Paul went.
2
Where did he go?
I don’t know where he went.
3
Where is he?
I don’t know where he is.
4
Where does he live?
I don’t remember where he lives.
5
Where is the post office?
Could you please tell me where the post office is?
6
Where can I catch the bus?
Could you please tell me where I can catch the bus?

§ Why
No.
Information Question
Noun Clause
1
Why did Tim leave?
I don’t know why Tim left.
2
Why was Kathy absent yesterday?
Do you know why Kathy was absent yesterday?
3
Why did you say that?
I don’t understand why you said that.
4
Why is Yoko angry?
Do you know why Yoko is angry?

§ How
No.
Information Question
Noun Clause
1
How old is Kate?
I don’t know how old Kate is.
2
How much does this book cost?
Could you please tell me how much this book costs?
3
How far is it to Chicago?
I wonder how far it is to Chicago.
4
How old are their Children?
I can’t ever remember how old their children are.
5
How long has Ted been living here?
Do you know how long Ted has been living here?

§ Who
No.
Information Question
Noun Clause
1
Who came to the party?
Tell me who came to the party.
2
Who is coming to the party?
I don’t know who is coming to the party.
3
Who are those people?
I don’t know who those people are.
4
Who is the mayor of New York City?
I don’t know who the mayor of New York City is.
5
Who did Sara invite?
I don’t know who Sara invited.

§ Whom
No.
Information Question
Noun Clause
1
Whom did you see at the party?
Tell me whom you saw at the party.
2
Whom did Helen talk to?
Do you know whom Helenk talked to?

§ What
No.
Information Question
Noun Clause
1
What did she say?
What she said wasn’t true.
2
What are we doing in class?
What we are doing in class is easy.
3
What is John’s telephone number?
I don’t know what John’s telephone number is.
4
What is the population of Texas?
I don’t know what the population of Texas is.

§ Which
No.
Information Question
Noun Clause
1
Which one does he want?
Let’s ask him which one he wants.

§ Whose
No.
Information Question
Noun Clause
1
Whose pen is this?
Do you know whose pen this is?
2
Whose book is that?
I don’t know whose book that is.
3
Whose books are those?
Do you know whose books those are?
4
Whose house is that?
I wonder house that is.
5
Whose car is in the driveway?
Do you know whose car in the driveway is?

2.  Noun clauses which begin with That
The word that, when it introduces a noun clause, has no meaning in itself. It simply marks the beginning of the clause. Frequently it is omitted, especially in speaking.
The word that is not omitted when it introduces a noun clause used as the subject of the sentence and noun clause will be placed at the end of the sentence.
e.g.;
a. noun clause as a subject
· That drug abuse can ruin one’s health is true.
                                      Subject                       V   O
· That Tim hasn’t been able to make any friends is too bad.
· That Irene failed her entrance examination is unfortunately.
· That smoke can cause cancer is strange.

b. noun clause as an object
· It is a pity that some woman do not earn equal pay for equal work.
· It is a well-known fact that English is the principal language of the business community throuhout much of the world.
· It is apparent that the earth revolves around the sun.

3.  Noun clauses which begin with If or Whether
When a yes/no question is changed to a noun clause, whether or if is used to introduce the clause.
Examples;
No.
Yes/No Question
Noun Clause
1
Did Sarah borrow your dictionary?
I wonder if Sarah borrowed your dicionary.
2
Did you leave your dictionary at the library?
I wonder whether you left your dictionary at the library.
3
Does she need any help?
I wonder if she needs any help.
4
Is he having trouble?
I wonder whether he is having trouble.
5
Do we have enough time to go to Florida over vacation?
I wonder if we have enough time to go to Florida over vacation.
6
Is there life on other planets?
I wonder if there is life on other planets.
7
Will people live on the moon someday?
I wonder whether or not people will live on the moon someday.
8
Does this bus go downtown?
Could you please tell me if this bus go downtown or not?
9
Is this word spelled correctly?
Could you tell me if this word is spelled correctly?
10
Is this information correct?
Could you tell me if this information is correct?

C. Followed by Infinitive
Questin words and whether maybe followed by an infinitive. Each pair of sentences has the same meaning. The meaning expressed by the infinitive is either should or can/could.
Sentence pattern:
Subject + Verb + Question word/whether + to + Verb 1 (infinitive)
Example;
Æ He told me when I should come.
He told me when to come.
Æ The plumber told me how I could fix the leak in the sink.
The plumber told me how to fix the leak in the sink.
Æ Please tell me where I should meet you.
Please tell me where to meet you.
Æ My cousin has a dilemma. He can’t decide whether to has a dilemma.

D. Subjunctive in Noun Clause
The subjunctive is used in a noun clause that follows certain verbs and expression. The sentences generally stress importance. In these sentences, the subjunctive verb is used only in its simple form. It doesn’t have present, past or future form; it is neither singular nor plural. Negative: not + simple form. Passive: simple form of be + past participle.
Should is also possible after suggest and recommend.

Common verb and expressions followed by the subjunctive in a Noun Clause;
demand (that)              suggest (that)                            it is important (that)
insist (that)                           recommend (that)            it is necessary (that)
request (that)              advise (that)                              it is essential (that)
ask (that)                     propose (that)                            it is vital (that)
                                                                            It is imperative (that)
Examples;
§  Her advisor recommended that she takes five courses.
§  He insisted that the new baby be named after his grandfather.

E.  Using EVER word
The following –ever words give the idea of “any”.
Ü Whoever
e.g.; Whoever wants to come is welcome.
Ü Who(m)ever
e.g.; He makes friends easily with who(m)ever he meets.
Ü Whatever
e.g.; He always says whatever comes into his mind.
Ü Whichever
e.g.; We can watch whichever one you prever.
Ü Whenever
e.g.; You may leave whenever you wish.
Ü Wherever
e.g.; She can go wherever she wants to go.
Ü However
e.g.; The students may dress however they please.




1 komentar: